You eat breakfast, right? I still get amazed when people do not eat breakfast. If not, start. Here is how I start most of my days.
Start with your oats.
They have a low GI (glycemic index). Translation. It releases sugar slowly into the bloodstream. Translation, you will stay fuller longer. Much longer than that bagel you just ordered from Dunkin Donuts.
Why chia seeds?
Yes, chia. I have a jar in my cupboard at all times, ready for scooping. These bad boys have fiber, protein, calcium, Omega 3’s. The list goes on and on. Unlike flax seeds, chia can be eaten in its whole form and still reap some serious health benefits. Flax needs to be ground or it passes through the intestines, pretty much undigested.
Buy chia at http://www.Amazon.com
Next almond butter.
Why almond butter?
It is a great source of protein, vitamin E, and monounsaturated fats. You really could use any nut butter though. Nut butter really adds to the creaminess of this oatmeal.
Next your mixed berries.
Why mixed berries?
Well any berry will do. I do not discriminate. Blueberries, strawberries, I have been known to mix. Berries have vitamin C, fiber, and cancer fighting anti-oxidants. Worth making it a permanent fixture in your freezer. Serious, make it a staple purchase.
My morning bowl
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup of water (more or less depending on how you like your oatmeal)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
2 tablespoons almond butter (peanut butter, cashew butter, etc. all yummo in my book)
1 cup frozen mixed berries
1) You will need 2 bowls.
2) Place oats, water, chia, and almond butter in one bowl.
3) Microwave for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave for another minute.
4) Place berries in the second bowl. Microwave until heated through. (I play around with this a bit. Usually a couple of minutes. I like my berries very warm, but not cooked and drippy. I often will stop and stir to check the temp of the berries).
5) Mix berries into oat mixture.
6) Get your coffee. Eat. Savor.
What is your go-to breakfast??