Yes, yeast. The good kind. Super healthy.
So I mentioned this a while back. Any vegan or health enthusiast knows that Nutritional Yeast is a “nutritional powerhouse” and needs to be a key item in your pantry. But if you are just starting out, you might not know what nutritional yeast is or what the heck to do with it.
I started on nutritional yeast about 4 years ago when I became vegetarian. Mainly because it is an excellent source of B-12, which is often lacking in a vegetarian diet. Although I added it to my diet for health purposes, I really had no idea what I was in store for. This stuff rocks and does not need to be limited to vegetarians.
NUTRITIONAL YEAST BENEFITS:
- low calories
- yay on fiber (has my 3+ grams)
- awesome protein (has my 6 gram rule)
Things I use nutritional yeast for:
- sprinkling on popcorn (just spritz with olive oil spray and give it a good shake)
- mixing into spaghetti sauce (perfect place to squeeze 1/4 cup in)
- as a salad topper (this is how I started my nutritional yeast obsession)
- mixed in with Annie’s Mac N Cheese
- mixed into salad dressing
- mixed into salsa and then added to tacos, burritos, quesadillas. Hungry yet?
Basically anywhere you want a cheesy flavor!
Where do I get this? Most health food stores will have it, but I find it can be pricey. Like everything, I just order online. My nutritional yeast is on automatic delivery from Amazon and comes 4 packages in a box.
Online shop for this stuff. Way easier.
Besides, it is super fun getting a package in the mail. For real.