I realize some days, carrots and hummus just will not cut it. If you can’t take another celery stick, here are 3 good snack choices from a standard grocer, Wal-Mart, and Trader Joe’s. No excuses. First things first, when buying chips or other snack items, try to find some that have 3 grams of fiber (or more) per serving. Plenty of snacks out there that have this promise. You just have to be willing to flip the bag. Remember, these do not equate to “healthy”, these are HEALTHIER than their standard counterparts.
Regular Grocery Store
- Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips– Can you step away from the Lay’s chips? I challenge you. Try this
- Food That Should Taste Good Chips– These are fantastic. Meet the fiber requirement and are made from a blend of stone ground corn, flax, sunflower seeds…. Just good, clean stuff. These are in the Wild Harvest section at Shaw’s. Venture out of the microwave popcorn/cheese curl aisle. You’ll survive.
- Kellogg’s All-Bran Crackers- Multi-Grain– The first ingredient on the side panel is actually “whole wheat”. Why does this matter? Well, sometimes these companies try to trick you with the whole wheat angle and plastering the words “multi-grain” on the front . Don’t believe it until you check the ingredient list.
- Snapea Crisps– These things are awesome. My youngest calls these the “long green things” instead of Snapea Crisps and yes, asks for the “long green things” as a snack. These are a crunchy green pea snack that well…taste nothing like green peas. Calcium, Iron, Protein, and my 3 grams of fiber requirement? Yup. Best part? These are $1.50 a bag. For real.
- Annie’s Bunny Grahams-Honey–Did you know that Walmart has Annie’s products? Make Annie’s your new brand to look for. The Bunny Grahams are my go-to Teddy Graham replacement.
- Kashi Cherry Dark Chocolate Granola Bars– Kashi. Another brand to seek out at Wal-Mart. These granola bars actually have real cherries, fiber and 5 grams of protein per bar. Take that Quaker Oat bars.
- Raw Almonds– Protein packed. Grab these handfuls of heaven. Choose raw when possible for the best nutritional benefit.
- Roasted Seaweed Snack– Huh? Seaweed? No, not as scary as it sounds. Sea vegetables are true gold mines in terms of health. Lightly salted. Just enough to keep you reaching for another. If you have a Trader Joe’s in your area, try these.
- Crunchy Curls– These are probably my favorite snack of all that are listed. Lentil potato chips. These are so good, it’s worth seeking out a Trader Joe’s for these. Even if it’s 100 miles away. Stock up.
What snack do you reach for most afternoons?