Whole wheat pizza dough. Delicious base for pretty much anything. One of those staple items that appears on our weekly grocery list. Tonight I decided to switch up the routine a bit and do a southwestern style pizza, minus the chicken.
On to the recipe…
Whole Wheat BBQ and Black Bean Pizza
1 tomato, diced
1 cup canned black beans (rinse those babies. Get rid of the goop!)
1 cup frozen, then thawed corn kernels
1-2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 package store-bought whole wheat pizza dough (Mine is from Trader Joe’s. Most stores sell them. Just be sure the first ingredient says “whole wheat” and not “enriched wheat”. Enriched= bad.)
1/3 cup barbecue sauce (Find one without HFCS. High fructose corn syrup= evil.)
1 cup shredded cheese of choice (I used Daiya because I like to keep it dairy free, but any cheese would work. Cheddar, mozzarella…it’s all good.)
- Preheat oven to temperature on pizza dough directions. Spray pan if using a non-stick pizza pan.
- Combine tomato, beans, and corn in a medium bowl.
- Sprinkle cornmeal onto pizza pan.
- Spread dough onto pan.
- Spread barbecue sauce on the dough. Top with the cheese and tomato, bean, corn mixture.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes depending on your oven and desired “crisp” needs.
By the way, this pizza is fabulous cooked on the grill. I would have fired it up, but mine is out of commission. Wagh.