This was one of the very first vegetarian recipes that I made for my family. This recipe is adapted from the PETA organization and isn’t the healthiest recipe on the planet, but it will suffice. I am a big fan of “transition meals” aka fake meats that make it easier for people to try and live meat free. This is a great transition meal and is a thumbs up for all ages.
12 oz. vegetarian burger crumbles
1 packet taco seasoning
2 15.5-oz. cans enchilada sauce
18 corn tortillas
1 15.5-oz. cans pinto beans, drained
2 green onions, chopped
2 cups vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
1 4.5-oz. can diced green chilies
2 cups tortilla chips, finely crushed (try to find a bag with 3+ grams of fiber)
• Preheat the oven to 375°F.
• In a small bowl, combine the burger crumbles and taco seasoning and set aside.
• Spray a 9-inch by 13-inch pan with oil.
• In layers, spread a generous amount of enchilada sauce, 6 corn tortillas, 1 cans of pinto beans, a handful of green onion, a third of the shredded “cheese,” half the can of green chilies, lots more enchilada sauce, 6 more tortillas, all the seasoned burger crumbles, another third of the “cheese,” the remaining green chilies, more enchilada sauce, then the final 6 tortillas, more enchilada sauce, and the rest of the “cheese.” Cover in foil and bake for 30 minutes.
• Remove the foil, top the entire casserole with the crushed tortilla chips, and bake for another 15 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and browned.
Makes 6 servings