I rarely make baked potatoes. I just find them to be kind of boring. Its like thawing frozen peas as a side dish. Too basic.
That said, I really should re-visit the baked potato more often. For the simple fact that they are loaded with fiber, potassium and have about half of your daily value requirements for vitamin C. Oh and my daughter loves potatoes. Another reason that I need to start making more baked potatoes and “normal” meals.
Tonight we will have a baked potato bar that will include a few do-it-yourself toppings. My kids always like to top their own stuff. Taco bar, salad bar. Tonight, baked potato bar.
- salsa (store bought)
- sour cream (per kids request)
- avocado slices
- veggie bacon crumbles
- grilled onions
- mango salsa
- and my Vegan Special Sauce. This sauce has a potato base for creaminess. (Yes, more potato) Carrots for a punch of Vitamin A, and Nutritional Yeast which should be a staple in your kitchen by now right?? The sauce can be used on pasta, nacho chips, potatoes, spread on whole grain toast…
What to do:
Make your sauce in advance! That way the dinner hour isn’t too crazed. Because really, what potato meal should be too time consuming?
Vegan Special Sauce
- Scrub and peel 2-3 potatoes (I say 2-3 potatoes because it depends on the size. I used 2 small sweet potatoes and 1 medium-sized russet potato).
- 2 large carrots
- 5-7 tablespoons nutritional yeast (to taste)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
Chop all potatoes and carrots.
Boil until tender. Drain.
Add vegetables and remaining ingredients to your food processor bowl. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary. We want creamy people!
* If need be, add more veggie broth to thin the sauce to consistency you would like.
Baked Potato Night
Bake your potatoes.
I used russet potatoes and baked them at 400 degrees for about 60 minutes.
Again, here are those toppings..
- sour cream
- mango salsa (leftover from meal 2 nights ago)
- avocado chunks
- vegetarian bacon crumbles
- grilled onions
- Vegan special sauce
Where is the broccoli and cheese topping you ask??
Too traditional. Maybe next time.