Kale is tough.
Tough, fibrous tough and tough in that you need recipe inspiration to know what to do with it.
Kale chips. Many start their kale journey with kale chips. Good approach, but eventually you need to venture out.
Smoothies? Okay if you have a high-speed blender, otherwise the leaves just do not get broken down enough and you are left with chunks. Not good. Nobody wants a blueberry-infused-kale-chunk smoothie. Bleck. The family will divorce you.
Kale salad? Do you eat raw kale in a salad? Chances are if you do, you have discovered that it takes a good hour to chew down one bite.
You massage your kale.
If you have been eating raw kale, kudos to you, but boy have you been suffering.
Here is a great recipe for kale rookies that comes with an awesome, sweet dressing to satisfy even the kids in your family.
Lightly modified from Raw Food Diet Inspiration here
- 1 Cup of Orange Juice
- 5-6 Dates
- 1/2 raisins
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 strip of celery
- juice of one large lemon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tea of cayenne pepper
- pinch of sea salt
Pile into your Vitamix or high-speed blender!
The actual salad:
- 1-10 oz package organic kale
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced (go organic if possible)
- 1 red pepper sliced thinly
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly (only 1 if kids are eating. For adults?? Go with 2 or 3.)
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Add your kale to a large bowl. Drizzle dressing generously over the greens.
- Massage those greens! Let this sit as long as possible.
- Add the rest of your ingredients and mix well.
2 thoughts on “Kale Salad”
What a great way to eat raw kale, sounds great.
So my hubby made this while I was at work. I took it for lunch the next day and I just loved it. Only thing is, he was not so sure about the “massage” part and poured it on instead. This in turn gave me a little more dressing then I would have put on myself but it was still very good. So easy that even my hubby can make it, ha