I love the smell of cooked apples.
I feel very Suzy Homemaker when I can time that scent to when the family walks in the door. Here is a recent dessert timed just right for when the school bus did a drop off and left me with two hungry boys.
Healthy Slow Cooker Apple and Pear Crisp
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar (or more brown sugar)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil (slightly soft. If yours is solid, microwave for a few seconds)
- 3-4 cups sliced apples and pears (I left the peels on because mine were organic. Hopefully I convinced you to go organic after this post.)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Stir the first 4 ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add coconut oil and use a fork to scramble it up a bit and make soft crumbs.
- Combine the apples and pears in a large bowl. Stir in half the crumbs, mixing to coat all the apples.
- Pour into your pre-sprayed bowl of the slow cooker.
- Whisk water, sugar and cinnamon together. Pour over apple/pear mixture.
- Top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Place a paper towel over the bowl before putting lid on slow cooker. This will keep it “crisp”.
- Cook on low for 2 hours.
A few pictures to help your process…
What is your favorite slow cooker dessert?