I wanted to bake something portable for breakfast.
My initial thought was to do a banana bread, but my kids are hot and cold with banana bread these days. Gotta mix things up.
I decided to make these cookies instead. I am calling them breakfast cookies because they have whole grains, banana, and Multi-grain Cheerios. Breakfast things, right? Our “healthy” breakfast cookies ingredients also include flaxseed meal and my personal fave, almond butter. Alternately, you could substitute the almond butter for peanut butter. Your taste, your call.
Almond Butter Breakfast Cookies
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, softened if it is cold and hardened (just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups Multi-Grain Cheerios
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Blend coconut oil, brown sugar, banana and applesauce together with an electric mixer until combined. (1 1/2- 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and mix until combined.
- Add vanilla and almond butter. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add flour mixture to coconut oil mixture and mix just until combined.
- Stir in rolled oats, Multi-grain Cheerios and flaxseed meal.
- Scoop out batter in cookie-sized tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack.