You know those packaged pizza pockets? I used to eat them and yes, loved them. Despite how bad they were for me, I still have fond memories of those crusty things.
Here is a healthier version…pretty much homemade.
Slight cheat. I cheated by using store-bought dough. Here is how this recipe unfolds…
Vegan Sausage and Spinach Pizza Pockets Ingredients
- Coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (remember to leave your garlic alone for 10 minutes. Why?)
- 14 oz Vegan sausage, sliced and quartered (I used Tofurkey brand)
- 1- 6oz package baby spinach
- 1 cup marinara sauce of choice
- 2 packages whole wheat pizza dough
- 1- 8 oz package mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, heat a couple of tablespoons of your oil.
- Add minced garlic.
- Add sausage and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add bag of spinach, adding water or vegetable broth if necessary. Cook for another 2 minutes, stirring the entire time until slightly wilted.
- Add marinara and stir. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Roll out one of the pizza doughs onto floured surface, in a rectangle shape.
- Cut into 6 rectangles.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over half of each rectangle to within 1 in. of edges.
- Top mozzarella side with spinach/sausage mixture.
- Fold dough over filling and press edges with your fork to create a seal.
- Transfer all pizza pockets to a prepared baking sheet (I put parchment on mine)
- Repeat with 2nd whole wheat dough.
- Bake at 400° for 14-17 minutes or until lightly browned.
One thought on “Spinach and “Sausage” Pizza Pockets (with whole wheat dough)”
Pingback: Cheesy Spinach-Stuffed Phyllo Pockets | My Foodie Call