Kale. This one seemed pretty obvious to me. I guess I live in my green bubble and assume that people have evolved beyond iceberg lettuce (not hating, promise)…but I have learned that sometimes good nutrition needs to be taught and learned several times for it to really stick. Although I have mentioned kale and its’ benefits several 1000 times, my apologies, because here I go again, preaching up a kale storm. Sorry, but not sorry, but I feel like this should be said again and again and again….
Kale, are you eating it? Is kale in your meal rotation? Yes, vitamin A, C, K, but it’s the calcium that you should care about. Did you know that the body only absorbs about 32 percent of the calcium in cow’s milk? Greens are somewhere in the 40-64 percent range, depending on the green. That’s something to pay attention to.
Until the next superfood…
Apple Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing
Modified from Oh She Glows http://ohsheglows.com/2011/06/17/weekend-glow-kale-salad/
- 1- 10 oz bag organic chopped kale
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped cucumber (2 cups chopped halves)
- 1 organic apple, fine chopped
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped cashew
1. Add kale, onion, cucumber, and apple to a large mixing bowl.
- Add dressing to mixing bowl and distribute well. ***See recipe below***
- Place bowl in fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- When ready to eat, add chopped avocado and cashew and mix well.
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2-3 tbsp water
Add all ingredients to your food processor and process until smooth.