Veggie burgers can be tricky. You really need to be careful with your ingredients, the wetness factor and the overall cook time otherwise you have a mess on your hands that no one will eat. I speak from experience.
Veggie Sliders with Polenta Buns
- 1 medium sweet potato, baked (I do this at 400 for 45 minutes, a day beforehand so that there are not too many steps on the day we will eat. Can’t have that.)
- 1-12 oz package Beef-less ground beef (or vegetarian crumbles)
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 medium onion, fine-chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 flax egg (or you can do 1 large egg, but try the flax egg: Add 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal to 3 tablespoons of water, whisk it, and let it sit for 30 minutes)
- 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, fine-chopped
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pre-cooked tube of polenta
- sliced cheese (optional)
For the Sliders:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Prepare a large baking sheet with non-stick spray or parchment paper.
- Pull skin off of cooked sweet potato mash it.
- Add the beef-less crumbles, oats, onion, garlic, flax egg, cottage cheese, parsley, agave, salt, and pepper.
- Mash and combine.
- Shape the mixture into mini burger size (sliders) and place them on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the sliders for 30 minutes. Flip them. Bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
For the Polenta Buns:
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Thin slice the polenta into rounds and arrange them on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flip and bake for another 10 minutes.
3 thoughts on “Veggie Sliders with Polenta Buns”
Mmmm I love polenta! Those bites look so cute.
I really really liked these. It is so great to eat something so tasty but yet, good for you!!! Great cooking