It takes a while to build a well-stocked, whole grain pantry. When starting to pay attention to whole grains, people tend to stick with safe bets such as brown rice and rolled oats….
Eventually the person may venture out and buy quinoa. Baby steps.
While quinoa is fab and full of nutrients, variety is key to a healthy diet. Two weeks of quinoa recipes will have the family screaming for mercy.
At least mine would….
At some point people need to get out of their quinoa bubble and try some other grains.
Millet, Amaranth, Bulgur….
Today we focus on Bulgur.
Curried Bulgur with Pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 can pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose seasoning
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 cup bulgur, uncooked
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Warm coconut oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, pumpkin, and spices. Cook, until onion is tender. Maybe 4-5 minutes? (Stir constantly so that nothing sticks to the pan.)
- Add bulgur and stir to mix. Cook and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, salt, and pepper. When mixture starts to bubble, reduce heat to low and cover your saucepan.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes (or until liquid has been absorbed.)
- Fluff before serving.