So I do realize that with any dessert you have to be careful with the claim “healthy”. I do believe dessert is dessert (not an apple for crying out loud) and this family is big on dessert. Really I try to just find a healthier way of doing it. So while I know that having a fruit salad for dessert is the best choice, who the heck does that??
Maybe someone on a diet.
But, this is not a diet blog.
This is just a simple family blog, with healthier options, typos and all.
Healthier versions of everyday things.
That said, this dessert is awesome and I make it with dairy-free ice cream, but you can choose your favorite vanilla. I hadn’t made this one in a little while but figured it was time. A family fave!
Also, this recipe is another great way to get pumpkin into your family. No Thanksgiving required. Make this year round. Why? Because it has ice cream. And why? Because pumpkin is good for you.
Pumpkin Pie Ice cream. Anything with ice cream is just great.
Start with your softened ice cream.
Add your pumpkin and spices.
Add it to your crust.
Add your whipped topping.
Re-freeze for a couple of hours and you’re in business.
Healthy Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie
- 1 1/2 quart tub of your favorite vanilla ice cream (I used Trader Joe’s Soy Vanilla Ice Cream)
- 1-15oz can of pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- Store-bought crust (I used a whole grain graham cracker crust from Whole Foods)
- Whipped topping of choice (I used Truwhip, tastes just like Cool Whip, but is healthier)
1) Let your ice cream thaw until you can easily stir it, (just don’t let it melt entirely!)
2) Stir in pumpkin, vanilla and spices until well blended.
3) Spread whipped topping along the top.
4) Pop it in the freezer. Refreeze.
5) Sit and wait impatiently for a couple of hours.
6) Resist the urge to check the freezer 12 times.
7) Slice and eat.