I am from the North East.
But have also lived in Southern California.
People definitely eat different.
Climate, soils, weather. Availability. Economic factors. Traditions….
So many things dictate why certain regions eat the way they eat.
A very Southern tradition is to use meat products such as ham hocks to flavor their collards.
Had to veganize that tradition for this household.
This recipe is lightly modified from Cooking from Trader Joe’s.
Southern Greens with Vegan Sausage
- 1 16-oz bag Southern Greens Blend (I bought this at Trader Joe’s but your could easily substitute collards or kale and chop your own)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced coarsely
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 10 oz vegetarian sausage cut into thin coin slices
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat in large skillet. (make sure it is large enough to fit all of your greens!)
- Cook onion in skillet until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add garlic, greens, and broth, stirring to combine all ingredients.
- Turn down heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about fifteen minutes, until greens are nice and soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.