Food is always an interesting discussion when the My-Foodie-Call kids have friends over.
There is always lots of negotiating when it comes to food. They are always worried about my serving “embarrassing food”. Sad that REAL food equates to embarrassing. I try to compromise, but refuse to conform.
So we had 5-thirteen year old girls at our house Friday night.
What to serve. Hmmm.
While I did negotiate and order pizza and soda, you better believe it came paired with cut up veggies and hummus.
(Not that they even touched it :)….)
Breakfast was a different story…
The My-Foodie-Call daughter wanted waffles for breakfast.
She got waffles for breakfast.
This recipe satisfied 5 hungry teenagers.
Healthy Chocolate Chips Waffles
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- Dark Chocolate chips
- Melt butter and coconut oil in the microwave.
- In a medium bowl, add butter/coconut oil mixture to milk, eggs, orange juice and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Stir until combined. It will be a tad lumpy. Try not to over stir.
- Spoon batter onto heated, sprayed waffle iron.
- Sprinkle batter with chocolate chips.
- Bake until golden brown.
I made a bunch and kept them warm in the oven until the girls were ready.
They were a hit. Think it was the chocolate.