Did you know that yesterday was Food Day 2013?
Food Day is an annual event that celebrates food that is healthy, affordable, and sustainable. All the while keeping the environment in mind. Food activists from all over the nation plan cooking classes, movie screenings, dinners…you name it.
All events are done to help carry out the mission of Food Day.
October 24th. Yes, yesterday was Food Day for 2013.
Although I was unable to participate in Food Day 2013 on a large-scale, I decided to instead take the mission into my youngest’s classroom.
What I did was very similar to the My-Foodie-Call Family’s Pumpkin Smoothie Challenge. Remember this post?
Well that’s what the 1st grade kids at Laurel Hill Primary got.
A Pumpkin Smoothie Challenge
First off with the kids, I wanted them to know why I was there. I did a short schpeal on Food Day 2013. The kids did not need to be bored with the fine details of Food Day, so I just chose to discuss three basic things:
- Staying away from pre-packaged foods.
- About our Pumpkin Smoothie Taste Challenge.
- Why pumpkin is good for our bodies.
The Colossal Pumpkin Smoothie.
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons agave
- 1/2 cup pumpkin
- 1 1/4 cups vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup ice
Place all ingredients in your blender and blend, blend, blend!
Two things for you to think about.
1) Next year for Food Day 2014:
Seek out an event or host your own. www.foodday.org
2) Try the Pumpkin Smoothie Taste Challenge at home with your own family members. Let me know who wins!