I was craving pesto.
In the worst way.
No fresh basil. Plenty of dried basil though. Let’s make it work in a pesto.
Okay, obviously fresh basil is better for pesto when possible, but having fresh basil at all times?
Not always a reality in this house.
…and walnuts instead of pine nuts??
Yes, way healthier and cheaper than pine nuts!
Dried Basil Pesto with Toasted Walnuts
- 1/2 cup (a little under a jar) dried basil
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Set a dry pan on your stove to medium heat. Toast walnuts for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently until lightly browned.
2. Put walnuts, basil, garlic, and parmesan cheese in your food processor.
3. Pulse several times to break it up. Then fully process until walnuts are blended in and you have a nice paste.
4. With processor running, slowly pour oil into the feeder of your processor.
5. Continue to run until smooth, 30-40 seconds??
Was hoping to have leftovers for school lunches….No such luck. That’s a good thing, right??