This is a great make ahead slow cooker recipe for those busy days. Okay who am I kidding, that’s everyday, but whatever. For one of those days when you want to feel like a cook without actually cooking.
Has a little bit of a curry thang going on. It is healthy, but hearty enough that you will not leave the table starving. I paired this chili with soft naan. Love naan. Any excuse to eat it is fine by me.
Modified lightly from Family Circle magazine to suit our family’s taste buds 🙂
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1- 16 oz bag of red lentils
- 1- 14.5 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2- 15 oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Serve with bread of choice
- Whisk together broth, tomato paste, mustard, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and salt in the bowl of your slow cooker.
- Stir in lentils, diced tomatoes, onion, carrot, celery, garlic and bay leaves. (Everything except the chick peas.)
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Stir in chickpeas.