Does your family all prefer different things for breakfast? This family is no different from yours. Some mornings the kids are freaking over eggs, Cheerios are the arch-enemy, or calling out my burnt toast. Nobody is ever happy or on the same page.
However, this breakfast is great, gets no complaints and has a regular spot in the breakfast rotation.
Must be doing something right on this one.
If you are not a big fan of oatmeal’s texture, steel-cut oats may be the kind to change your mind. Although steel-cut oats take a bit longer to cook, they are chewier than regular oatmeal which I like. No slop factor on this breakfast. And although I mention that they take a bit longer than regular oats, really they just simmer on low and you stir every so often. Nothing to stress on. Big deal.
Give this breakfast recipe a try and let me know what you think.
Easy Blueberry Steel Cut Oats
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 4 cups water (OR…a lot of times I will use a can of coconut milk to replace some of the water. Yup, that much creamier. )
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Bring water to a boil (or milk/water mixture)
- Add steel-cut oats
- Boil for 4-5 minutes until they thicken a bit.
- Reduce heat to slow and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Add frozen blueberries. Stir for a minute or so, keeping on low heat.
- Add brown sugar. Stir.