Steel cut oats with brown sugar and blueberries.
Does your family all prefer different things for breakfast? This family is no different from yours. Some mornings the kids are freaking over eggs, Cheerios are the arch-enemy, or calling out my burnt toast. Nobody is ever happy or on the same page.
However, this breakfast is great, gets no complaints and has a regular spot in the breakfast rotation.
Must be doing something right on this one.
If you are not a big fan of oatmeal’s texture, steel-cut oats may be the kind to change your mind. Although steel-cut oats take a bit longer to cook, they are chewier than regular oatmeal which I like. No slop factor on this breakfast. And although I mention that they take a bit longer than regular oats, really they just simmer on low and you stir every so often. Nothing to stress on. Big deal.
Give this breakfast recipe a try and let me know what you think.
Grab your stuff….35 minutes later…
Breakfast is served.
Easy Blueberry Steel Cut Oats
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 4 cups water (OR…a lot of times I will use a can of coconut milk to replace some of the water. Yup, that much creamier. )
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Bring water to a boil (or milk/water mixture)
- Add steel-cut oats
- Boil for 4-5 minutes until they thicken a bit.
- Reduce heat to slow and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Add frozen blueberries. Stir for a minute or so, keeping on low heat.
- Add brown sugar. Stir.
***Optional add-ins: Peanut butter, Chia seeds, Chopped walnuts, gogi berries, raisins***