What makes these babies healthy-ER???
What makes these babies “holiday”?
Really it’s just the crushed peppermint. These ice cream sandwiches can be made anytime, I just wanted to holiday it up a bit so I crushed some mints and called it a day.
For a closer look scroll down past the recipe for the pictorial.
Healthy Holiday Ice Cream Sandwiches
For the cakes:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance vegan butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs (or try making flax eggs: 3 tablespoon flax mixed with 9 tablespoons water. Let set for 30+ minutes in the fridge)
The ice cream center:
- 1- 32oz tub Vanilla Ice Cream of choice (I used Trader Joe’s Soy Vanilla Ice Cream, but you could use any vanilla: light, frozen yogurt…what ever you like)
- 15-18 peppermint candies, crushed in the food processor
For the cakes:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Easy clean up!
- In a small bowl, whisk almond milk and apple cider vinegar.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat the Earth Balance and sugar until fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the egg and beat until the mixture is creamy and well combined, another minute.
- Add the flour mixture next (in several batches,) alternating with the almond milk mixture, until all ingredients have been added and the mixture is smooth.
- Using a large spoon, drop the batter onto the prepared sheets, creating 2-3 inch rounds.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Use a spatula to transfer the cakes to a wire cooling rack. Cool completely before filling.
For the ice cream center:
- In a large bowl, scoop all of the ice cream out of the container and let thaw a bit.
- Stir in crushed peppermint candies.
- Turn half of the cooled cakes upside-down (flat side up), and spread a generous amount of ice cream. Top with the other cakes (flat side down).
- Eat immediately or wrap and freeze.
A closer look.
2 thoughts on “Healthy Holiday Ice Cream Sandwiches”
Reblogged this on Jane Doe (at-your-service).
Pingback: Back in First Grade: A Healthy Holiday Treat. | myfoodiecall