We all know how to make and break New Year’s resolutions, right? Don’t give up just yet. This bar is worth hanging onto that new workout regimen. Although if you have already thrown in your sweaty towel, not to worry, you can still eat these from the couch.
Here is a recipe that I have been making every so often for a few years now for Mr. Foodie Call. My original intention for these protein/energy bars were for him to use these as a post-workout snack.
Why? They are loaded with protein. We all know about eating protein after a workout, right?
Protein aids in muscle repair, yada yada yada…
But Mr. Foodie Call started eating them before working out. Well it does have oats and chia seeds. Energy powerhouses. In short: Anytime of day would work for eating up these bad boys. Including your Bachelor viewing. That drama requires LOADS of energy.
- 1 cup rolled oats (not quick oats, old-fashioned oats)
- 1 cup puffed rice cereal (Plain jane, not the sugary kind. These bars are sweet enough on their own. Trust me)
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder (I used vanilla soy protein from Trader Joes)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (or any other nut butter)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup gogi berries (or raisins)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (why do I use chia so much? A reminder here)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips (get at least 60% dark chocolate for the antioxidants. I like Ghirardelli.)
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients
- In a medium bowl mix together the honey and nut butter. Melt in microwave for 35-45 seconds. Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour wet mixture on top of dry and stir well.
- Press into a pre-sprayed pan with wet fingers, because yes, it’s sticky!
- Melt chocolate in microwave and spread evenly on top of the bars.
- Freeze for 10 mins. and cut into bars. Wrap individually. Store in the fridge or freezer. I do the freezer.
A closer look.
When to eat King Bars?
Use these bars as fuel. Yes, these can be eaten whenever but ideally? Get off the couch and these are geat pre or post-workout.
How to eat?
Store these individually wrapped in the freezer. When you are ready to eat one, thaw it at room temp for 5 to 15 minutes, and devour.