I wanted to come up with some sort of healthy spread for my kids to put on their toast, mini bagels, waffles, or any other carb-y thing.
Had to be sweet enough for them to want to eat it. Had to be healthy enough for me to want to serve it .
Flaxseed Pumpkin Butter was born. This recipe is not so bad on sugar, has a healthy serving of flax for Omega 3’s, and is a slow cooker recipe to boot.
Slow Cooker Flaxseed Pumpkin Butter
- 1- 6.75 oz apple juice box
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal (Not flaxseeds. Buy a box of “milled flaxseed” or if you have some time, grind your own seeds and make your own flax meal.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Spray slow cooker bowl with non-stick spray to ensure an easy, post pumpkin butter clean up.
- Stir and combine all ingredients in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook ok on high for 1 hour. Turn heat to low and cook for 4-5 hours, stirring every hour or so. It should thicken up nicely!