I had a holiday brunch that I went to this past week and I had to bring a plant-based dish to share. This put me on the hunt for a good brunch recipe. I needed to find something that I could make ahead, but would still keep for the short drive to Daniel Island… and something that was a little more adventurous than fruit salad.
French toast, maybe??
Remember this post about using Vegan Egg Nog in my pumpkin pie recipe?
Well, I am still on my egg nog kick. After all, ’tis the egg nog season.
However, I can’t take credit for this recipe idea. This I got straight from the back of the So Delicious Nog carton.
I followed the recipe exactly except I used a long whole wheat french baguette (slightly different from their recommendation).
…And I still needed to figure out how to transport the french toast to the brunch so that it would stay warm (a slow cooker maybe?), but also making sure that the french toast didn’t stick together…(assembled upright??)
Question is: Will they stay warm and keep while being transported??
Vegan Nog French Toast
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 cups Vegan Dairy-Free “Egg” Nog
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 wheat french bread loaf (left on the counter, unwrapped, for a day or so…use vegan bread if you want to keep the recipe vegan)
- coconut oil
- Blend bananas, “egg” nog, cinnamon, and vanilla in a blender and pour into a shallow pan or wide bowl.
- Heat a griddle coated with a thin layer of coconut oil.
- Gently dip the bread slices, one at a time into the pan or bowl, letting slices soak up mixture for a few seconds, then carefully turn to coat the other side.
- Transfer bread slices to griddle heating slowly until bottom is golden brown.
- Turn and brown the other side.
- Serve with maple syrup, fresh berries, or both.
- Eat immeditately.
If you need a make-ahead/eat-later method read below:
If you are attending a brunch or need to bring a breakfast for a holiday event, try using this method. I was able to transport this dish to my brunch right in the slow-cooker and it worked great!
A closer look at how easy this dish is.
I highly recommend this recipe if you are a big french toast and egg nog fan. I will make this again for sure.