Everyone recovered from their 4th of July? Ready to get healthy again? Try this summery rice dish that is enhanced with a bit of sesame that adds that little something something, but is not too overpowering…
Sesame Basmati Rice with Summer Vegetables
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup cut green beans
- 1 small sliced summer squash (just under 2 cups)
- 2/3 cup diced red pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Combine onion and oil in a large saucepan
- Saute over low heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently
- Stir in the rice and cook for another minute
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the water and salt and bring to a boil.
- Stir, cover and cook until almost all of the water is absorbed 35-40 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in the vegetables.
- Cover and cook for another 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in sesame seeds and oil.
- Serve right away.