Do you need something to do with those blueberries you picked over the summer? Need to create space in your freezer?
Here is a good one to try.
I made these blueberry muffins for a recent breakfast when my 10-year-old had a friend spend the night.
Pressure was on.
Let’s just say 10-year-olds can be….
Honest. My son included 🙂
These muffins were guest approved. The “guest” had three of them, although who’s counting????
Whole Grain Vegan Blueberry Muffins.
So vegan means, no animals were involved.
No oil involved either. Bonus.
Chia seeds WERE involved.
And they actually taste good.
How this happens.
Start by making your dairy-free buttermilk. Not hard. It’s just almond milk and lemon juice.
Then your super food. Super food= Super ingredient right here.
And your unsweetened applesauce.
Now your dry ingredients.
Add your wet.
Slowly fold in your blueberries.
Prepared for baking…
After 13 minutes add your optional cinnamon/sugar topping.
But why wouldn’t you???
Finish baking until inserted toothpick comes out clean…
Whole Grain Blueberry Muffins with Chia
- 2 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, frozen
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chia gel (***see below for how to make chia gel***)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk mixed with the juice of one small lemon (or 1/2 large lemon)
- cinnamon-sugar grinder for topping, optional
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prepare muffin tin with liners or lightly grease with coconut oil (I did the coconut oil).
2) Whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, chia gel, and vegan “buttermilk”.
4) Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, stir a little bit.
5) Add your frozen blueberries and stir again, just until combined. (As with all muffins, do not over-stir. If you do it will cause overly dense muffins)
6) Spoon the batter into prepared muffin tin.
7) Bake the muffins for 13 minutes.
8) Take muffins out and top the muffins with cinnamon/sugar. (optional)
9) Bake for another 5-6 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
Mix 2 Tbls chia seeds with one cup of water. Whisk well. The seeds will float around a bit and not do much. Relax. Wait 2 or 3 minutes, whisk again. Put in the fridge for 10-15 minutes, whisking in between to help it set further set. It will be gel-like and goopy, but this is want you want. It is your perfect healthy binder in place of your egg and oil.